By Fr Robert Barron
1. Pray before the Blessed Sacrament – Spend some time if you can, everyday or maybe once a week, praying in front of Our Lord. Don’t just talk–be still and listen.
2. The Jesus Prayer – Pray this simple prayer: “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Repeat it over and over again throughout the day, for one minute, five minutes, or half an hour. Pray it at the beginning and end of the day. Let its calming rhythm focus your mind on God.
3. “Come, Holy Spirit” prayer – Simply praying, “Come, Holy Spirit” works anytime, anywhere–it’s always a good prayer. For more, try praying the entire Veni, Sancte Spiritus.
4. The Rosary – If you haven’t prayed the Rosary in a long time, pick it up during Lent. If you’re unsure how, or if you’ve forgotten which mysteries to pray, here’s a simple guide.
5. The Mass – If you don’t go to Sunday Mass, go–you’re obligated if you’re a Catholic. If you go to Sunday Mass, go to daily Mass during Lent. Decide to attend one extra Mass each week. Visit MassTimes.org to find daily Mass times at nearby parishes.
All of these are simple, straightforward ways to deepen your prayer life during Lent. You don’t have to do them all, but just choose one and commit yourself.